Purim Wrap Up
- A call by the leader of the Hungarian Jewish community for Jews to leave the country â€œfor fear of anti-Semitic attacks on the occasion of the national holiday, â€œwas a joke in a Jewish newspaper,â€ Rabbi Shlomo Koves told European Jewish Press on Friday. — EJP
- Likewise, Ezra’s entirely irresponsible Purim spiel: “Jews Celebrate Killing of Iranian Anti-Semites”.
- Bradley Burston explains what Judaism would look like if Ezra was in charge.
- Daniel Septimus explores the dark edges of Purim.
- Reading violent scriptures increases aggressive behavior, especially among believers, a new study finds. — Science Daily
Business as Usual
- Leading Jewish socilogist Samuel Heilman threatens to sue Steven I. Weiss for debunking the bogus figures in his latest book.
- MJ Rosenberg has the full text of Obama’s AIPAC speech. Interesting thread follows.
- NY State Troopers nab a Torah thief.
- JPost wants to know: What went down at Ahmadinejad’s meeting with the Saudis?
- Capitol Weekly chases the senatorial bids of two gay liberal Jews from San Francisco.
- As if her little “faggot” remark was not enough, turns out Ann Coulter praised a known antisemite and Holocaust denier in her latest book, Godless. You’d think Dice would be more popular.
Progressive/Mainstream Jewish Rift
- Australia joins the fray. Anthony Lowenstein: “This week Independent Australian Jewish Voices launched and I am one of its founding members. Our aims are similar to the British group, and we have attracted more than 370 signatories (and rising very fast).”
- A declaration criticizing Israeli territorial policies is roiling the German Jewish community and raising questions about the limits of open debate on matters in relation to the Middle East. — The Forward
- I just wanted to mention that Jewess and The Jew & The Carrot kick ass.
- The Foundation for Jewish Camping has raised concerns about Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie’s upcoming stint as camp counselors for the next season of their reality show The Simple Life, after rocker Courtney Love dished on the drug scene at one of Hilton’s recent parties.
- A soon-to-end exhibit at the Warhol Museum explores the pseudo-science of eugenics and its influence on various cultures. “Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race” runs til March 18.