Once again, we are delighted to announce the courses for the 2008 National Havurah Committee Summer Institute! The Institute will be August 11-17 at Franklin Pierce University in New Hampshire. Every teacher is a student, and every student is a teacher.
- Heather Stoltz (Poretsky Artist-In-Residence) – Translating Text Into Textile
- Ozer Bergman – Applied Breslov Chassidut: From Page to Practice
- Mitchell Chefitz – Playing with White Fire
- James S. Diamond – Franz Kafka: A Jew for Our Time
- Harold Gorvine – Israel at Sixty: Forty-One Years as an Occupier, 1967-2008
- Aaron Kachuck – Josephâ€™s Multi-Colored Hellenistic Coat
- Elie Kaunfer – The Essential Prayer: A Deep Investigation into the Amidah
- Bill Kavesh and Solomon Mowshowitz – A Daf a Day for 18 Years: Deconstructing the Encyclopedia Judaica
- Herb Levine – Welcoming the Homeless Stranger — How a Mitzvah is Rooted in Our Stories
- Judith Plaskow and Martha Ackelsberg – The Unfinished Revolution: Jewish Feminism in a â€œPost-Feministâ€ Age
- Dawn Rose – Words and Worlds of Two Prophets: Isaiah and Mohammad
- Joe Rosenstein – What is Rosh Hashanah All About?
- Regina Sandler-Phillips – Speaking the World into Being: Jewish Ethics of What We Say and How We Say It
- Ari Weisbard – Rabbinic Rules for Radicals
- S. Bear Bergman (Poretsky Artist-In-Residence) – Storytelling, Diaspora, and Survival
- Julia Appel – The Art and Spirit of Prayer Leading
- Mitch Chanin – Controversy for the Sake of Heaven: Facilitating constructive dialogue across political differences about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and other controversial issues
- Stephen Eisdorfer – Law and The Law
- Shelly Fredman – The Soulâ€™s Search for Meaningâ€”Creating a Personal Theology
- Bob Freedman – What Words Can Do!
- Bob Goldenberg – What is oral about â€œOral Torahâ€?
- Matthew Goldfield – Infinity and God
- Jill Jacobs and Guy Izhak Austrian – It Goes Without Saying: Power, Passivity, and Social Change
- Eleni Litt – Line, Color, Form: The Shape of Torah and the Kabbalah of Color
- Benjamin Maron – Beyond the Binary: the â€œOtherâ€ Genders in the Mishna and Contemporary Judaism
- Adele Reinhartz – Diversity and Rupture: The “Parting of the Ways” between Judaism and Christianity
- Aviva Richman – The Vagina Monologues Meet the Talmud
- Micha’el Rosenberg – Do We Mourn for the Dead, or for the Living? The Case of Suicide in Halacha
See you in August!