Chanukah thought

Chanukiot that require you to melt in each candle have a design flaw. Discuss.

Filed under Chanukah, Holidays

14 Responses to “Chanukah thought”

1. you mean melt down the bottom so it fits in the menorah without jumping off? so annoying!

shamir · December 23rd, 2008 at 5:55 am
  2. Also annoying are the cheap chanukios that are given away to students and others (the ones made of tin or aluminum), that require you to resize the candle holders before using.

feygele · December 23rd, 2008 at 1:42 pm
  3. Perhaps it’s the candles that require melting that have the design flaw.

Although I wouldn’t object to a self-cleaning chanukkiyah.

dlevy · December 23rd, 2008 at 2:18 pm
  4. Mine wouldn’t require the melting-in if I actually cleaned out the existing wax nubs more often. The design flaw is that it doesn’t just do that automagically.

Danya · December 23rd, 2008 at 2:38 pm
  5. I’m talking about the ones where the candles don’t stay put on their own even when it’s totally clean.

BZ · December 23rd, 2008 at 3:43 pm
  6. I know. I’m just saying.

Danya · December 23rd, 2008 at 3:48 pm
  7. olive oil menorahs need no melting!!!

Justin · December 23rd, 2008 at 4:02 pm
  8. and they smell like latkes!

Justin · December 23rd, 2008 at 4:02 pm
  9. Yes, it’s a design flaw, and I hate how many matches it wastes.

Yeilah · December 23rd, 2008 at 4:13 pm
  10. Anybody know chanukiyot rules? Can I fill a tray with olive oil and drop in eight floating wicks, or do I need to have eight separate cups?

Kung Fu Jew · December 23rd, 2008 at 9:01 pm
  11. You need 8 separate cups (or the number of whatever night it is) so that each flame is distinguishable and it doesn’t just look like one big ole bonfire.

jewtah · December 25th, 2008 at 12:41 pm
  12. 8 separate cups that are arranged in a straight line

Justin · December 25th, 2008 at 2:42 pm
  13. [...] rush the lights out the door too fast: four more nights! But BZ correctly calls attention to the basic problem of modern holiday technology, still very much waxing along with the number of candles. (A commenter notes it’s a good [...]

Fruits and Votes » Prof. Shugart's Blog » Chanukah waxing · December 25th, 2008 at 8:17 pm
  14. actually I always learned that you could use one large bowl of olive oil and so long as the wicks were far apart that the flames were separate/individual you could put all the wicks you needed for that night’s lighting in one bowl. but …most people don’t do that. it is less cute. the lights have to be even in height at the start…

my hannukiahs have never required melting in the candles and i use candles instead of olive oil these days… so i do think you have a design flaw. the issue is actually the holder for the candle.. how deep is it and of what material is it…

if it is a material that can be burned and the candles are such that they burn cleanly all the way down, you should actually get at the end a wick burning out the holder, which of course has to be deep enough for this. .. it is also a problem though of the candles you get…. some candles do not burn like this.

farina · January 14th, 2009 at 4:39 pm