British man in process of constructing to-scale model of the Second Temple

30 years in the process and still in progress.

Check out the pics here!

13 Responses to “British man in process of constructing to-scale model of the Second Temple”

1. There is a genuine love of “Hebrew” antiquity among a segment of the British. It’s quite flattering, considering that the British are hardly a shabby civilization themselves.

DK · March 2nd, 2009 at 9:08 pm
  2. British philo-Semitism has a creepy side, though. Anti- and philo- Semitisms are two sides of the same distorting coin. Funny used bookstore story about this: we once ran across but did not buy this forty-page poem written by some British noblewoman in the grip of Disraeli Fever or Bulwer-Lytton syndrome, going on and on about how Jews are actually quite clever and useful to have around and how bad it was that other lords and ladies failed to appreciate what great subordinates they were, if you grok. Racist patronism is one thing but we must never forget or forgive awful poetry. We imagine her reading the damn thing to certain guests who would then have to come up with nice things to say. Will the model templebuilder have expectations for the reception of his model from certain quarters?
    We drop by Beth Sierdaski to offer an acronym we accidentally stumbled upon, in case somebody else thought of it first: “Unusually Righteous Jew” pronounced “urge” (meant positively such as “That Dan Sieradski is an urge and a light unto the e-nations.”)

kei&yuri--just-visiting · March 2nd, 2009 at 10:11 pm
  3. Berit Ish Israelism?

I think the philo-Semitism began with Disraeli.

B.BarNavi · March 3rd, 2009 at 1:04 am
  4. Not to reveal my ignorance, but what’s with the five-branched menorot?

Yonah · March 3rd, 2009 at 1:14 am
  5. Yeah, I noticed that… he got the cups wrong, too. They should be facing downward, per Rambam’s drawing.

Here’s a good article about the menorah design.

Victor · March 3rd, 2009 at 3:26 am
  6. I dunno what Kei and Yuri are doing giving my blog as their URL. Truly. I had no idea, nor did I suggest it, nor is it a tactic dreamed up by anyone I am aware of. Kei and Yuri have some agenda of their own, I dare say, but I don’t know what it might be.

Rowan Berkeley · March 3rd, 2009 at 4:05 am
  7. Cool! On the cups there are various opinions, I think.

I heartily recommend a visit to the Mennonite Visitors’ Center, which has a life-size replica of the Mishkan aka Tabernacle, the structure described in Leviticus. It is at www.mennoniteinfoctr.com/tabncle.html

They push a button and Aharon HaCohen comes forward to burn the incense sacrifice.

Simon F · March 3rd, 2009 at 5:13 pm
  8. Maybe there are different opinions, but I haven’t heard of someone challenging Rambam on the cups. It was the same way in the Beis Hamikdash. Whereas in a normal home, the inside of windowsills are wider than the window itself, to allow more light into the home, in the Beis Hamikdash, it was the opposite – the windowsills were wider on the outside, the reason being that the Beis Hamikdash does not need to receive light, it is the source of light, and the windows are designed to help radiate more of that light into the world.

Surely there is no disagreement on the shape of the branches, which both Rashi and Rambam rule are linear, diagonal from the base, not curved.

Anyway, there is an easy way to solve this. When Moshiach comes the Vatican will give us back everything the Romans stole, and we will see exactly how things should be.

Victor · March 3rd, 2009 at 5:54 pm
  9. Thanks, Victor. Then again, it seems kind of pointless to question the details when this guy put not one but 32 Jesuses in the Beit HaMikdash…

Yonah · March 3rd, 2009 at 9:16 pm
  10. I just want to put out the possibility, regarding the menorah, that the dude is still in the process of buildings his mini-mikdash. Can we give him the benefit of that doubt that he still has two branches of the menorah to make?

And regarding Jesus, there had to have been WAY more than 32 crazies named Yeshua hanging out in the hetzarim of the mikdash, no?

Justin · March 4th, 2009 at 4:34 am
  11. Yeah, but these are not guys named Yeshua. They’re all Jesus. Surprisingly, not one of them is throwing a fit and defacing the Temple…

Yonah · March 5th, 2009 at 2:07 am
  12. Did anyone notice how in picture 19 it says “The Temple was probably located on the site of what today is the Dome of the Rock.” I was not aware that this was contested information, given the historical record and remaining temple walls…

Yehudit Brachak · March 8th, 2009 at 5:23 am
  13. YB-
    There is no disagreement on whether or not the Mikdash was on the Har Ha’Bayit, but where precisely on the Har Ha’Bayit it was is not agreed upon. If one bases it off the Roman roads, for example, and they built most of their cities with roads that fanned out from the central structure, the Mikdash would have been BETWEEN the Dome and the Mosque. This is one hypothesis, and there are others.

Justin · March 8th, 2009 at 2:01 pm