Looking for an internship this summer?

Jewish Currents, the 65-year-old progressive, secular magazine, is looking for some interns this summer. Positions pay “a small hourly stipend” and require various degrees of computer expertise. Details here.

Filed under Jobs

15 Responses to “Looking for an internship this summer?”

1. I’m always surprised that progressives who demand higher minimum wages have no problem with unpaid or near-unpaid internships.

Dave Boxthorn · June 24th, 2010 at 8:09 pm
  2. Many do. You don’t have to be surprised now.

ML · June 25th, 2010 at 2:01 am
  3. Dave, the higher minimum wage is for people who need jobs to survive. As a middle class college student with financially supportive parents, I don’t need to work to survive. But a little extra cash flow and extra on-the-job experience in a related field is always welcome.

I am, however, opposed to free internships. I’ve been working for Jewish non-profits almost non-stop since I was like 14 so I consider myself a professional, despite my lack of a BA just yet.

I just checked out this internship, which does have an hourly wage.

David A.M. Wilensky · June 25th, 2010 at 11:13 am
  4. and on the flipside, as an expectant father nearing the end of a very long and expensive graduate school experience, I am currently working an unpaid internship. Not because I don’t need the money, oh how I sorely need the money, but because I believe in the organization and their mission. Sometimes we make personal sacrifices for the greater good and trust that the universe will provide for us.

Justin · June 25th, 2010 at 1:14 pm
  5. Legally speaking, from what I understand, unpaid internships are illegal, which is why you will often find organizations stating that they can only hire interns who will receive college credit for their work (which counts as a different kind of compensation).

dlevy · June 25th, 2010 at 2:29 pm
  6. Dave, to use Justin’s example, who would work for less than a reasonable wage for McDonald’s because they believe in the mission?

David A.M. Wilensky · June 25th, 2010 at 2:42 pm
  7. The Hamburglar, for one. Probably Mayor McCheese as well, but you can never trust politicians to really stand up for their stated beliefs.

Oh, you were asking the other Dave. Sorry. As Doctor Seuss once wrote, there are too many Daves.

dlevy · June 25th, 2010 at 5:24 pm
  8. Dave Boxthorn- You need to understand where they’re coming from. To the people on this site work is a luxury. Therefore they think it is the same for all americans. Hence the illegal immigration enthusiasm you see on display so often.

formermuslim · June 26th, 2010 at 2:57 pm
  9. “I am, however, opposed to free internships.”

How noble of you. You should tell the millions of people who take and have taken them how bad they “really” are….

Eric · June 28th, 2010 at 9:08 am
  10. Eric, if other people want to work for free, they’re free to. I’m opposed to it for me, which was the point of joining that statement with a bit about me being a professional etc.

David A.M. Wilensky · June 28th, 2010 at 10:48 am
  11. and formermuslim, you think we’re all rich here at jewschool because of our giant internet media empire? gimme a break.

David A.M. Wilensky · June 28th, 2010 at 10:49 am
  12. There is a fine line between volunteering and internship in the non-profit world. If the post had been phrased as looking for “volunteers” would we be having this conversation?

dlevy · June 28th, 2010 at 4:13 pm
  13. No, because they’re not looking for volunteers. They’re looking for paid interns, so…

I’m pretty familiar with that line anyway. I worked for Limmud NY (paid) for three semesters, but I still do things for Limmud NY (like run all of our social media whatevers) on a volunteer basis.

David A.M. Wilensky · June 28th, 2010 at 4:35 pm
  14. So… has anyone bothered to find out what they’re paying? This whole comment thread feels like a lot of sound and fury…

dlevy · June 28th, 2010 at 9:43 pm
  15. If anyone’s interested, I am a Jewish Currents intern as of last summer. I get paid $10 a hour– higher than minimum wage.

Brooklynjew · July 11th, 2010 at 9:41 pm