All you had to do was give Rabbi Jacobs a chance

Jacobs

Jacobs

Jacobs

Jacobs

As you may have heard by now, the Union for Reform Judaism has chosen Rabbi Richard (Rick) Jacobs of Westchester, New York, as its next president, to succeed Rabbi Eric Yoffie, who is retiring after 16 years. Here at Jewschool, we wish Rabbi Jacobs the best in his leadership of the Reform movement, but we are left with one burning question: We are wondering whether he is related to Gregory E. Jacobs, aka Shock G, the former member of Digital Underground best known for his alternate persona Edward Ellington Humphrey III, aka Humpty Hump.

They share more than a last name: As a number of news reports have noted, Rabbi Jacobs is doing a Ph.D. in ritual dance, and Mr. Jacobs has “even got [his] own dance“. Rabbi Jacobs leads one of the largest Jewish congregations in America; both how Mr. Jacobs is living and his nose are large.

Whether or not they are related, we hope Rabbi Jacobs’s tenure at the URJ will be committed to the Reform Jewish values of informed autonomy (“No two people will do it the same”), inclusivity (“Anyone can play this game”), intellectual honesty (“Oh yes ladies, I’m really being sincere”), and social justice (“Peace and humptiness forever”).

Filed under Arts & Culture, Music, Reform, URJ, USA

15 Responses to “All you had to do was give Rabbi Jacobs a chance”

1. Listen up RA and RCA. Those are some good values to emulate!

Aharonium · March 27th, 2011 at 6:42 pm
  2. I love Humpty. And I want a job with R. Jacobs.

Jew Guevara · March 27th, 2011 at 7:46 pm
  3. Hmm, I’m not sure. He seems like a slender fellow, certainly not the kind to go to kiddush and eat up all the crackers and licorice.

rokhl · March 27th, 2011 at 9:49 pm
  4. But Humpty also said “Look at me, I’m skinny.”

BZ · March 27th, 2011 at 10:22 pm
  5. Ahh, but would Rabbi Jacobs commit loshn hora (at minimum) by telling a fat girl he called her fat?

Rokhl · March 27th, 2011 at 10:27 pm
  6. BZ: But Humpty also said “Look at me, I’m skinny.”
    And it never stopped him from getting busy!

renaissanceboy · March 27th, 2011 at 10:32 pm
  7. I think Shock G. would make a great Reform leader

1/ Like Reform theology Shock G. is only partly Jewish

2/ At the age of 47 he would easily personally relate to the youngest members of Reform Judaism (see ‘young’ commenters above)

3/ ‘Digital’. He can keep repeating that word and people will think he’s on the bleeding edge, which is all you need to be a Reform leader.

signed

Dave ‘Dave’ Boxthorn

Dave Boxthorn · March 27th, 2011 at 11:06 pm
  8. BZ: But Humpty also said “Look at me, I’m skinny.”
    And it never stopped him from getting busy!

Let alone why “yes, ladies, I’m really bein’ sincere.”

ML · March 28th, 2011 at 2:20 am
  9. More importantly, would R. Jacobs stand on the bimah and shout “Do me, baby!”???

adam · March 28th, 2011 at 1:49 pm
  10. Right,
    THe Reform values are reiterated by Digital Underground’s other hit single “Doowatchalike”…

I wonder if Rabbi Jacobs likes biscuits? As in, “just grab ‘em in the biscuits”

josh weinberg · March 28th, 2011 at 6:03 pm
  11. Also, Rabbi Jacobs has been involved with the Rabbinic Vision Initiative, an effort to change the way the URJ operates, and Mr. Jacobs is about to ruin the image and the style that you’re used to.

BZ · March 28th, 2011 at 7:12 pm
  12. Yeah, I guess it’s obvious, he also likes to write.

BZ · March 28th, 2011 at 8:45 pm
  13. Information regarding Rabbi Jacobs’ preferences on oatmeal consistency is as yet unavailable.

renaissanceboy · March 29th, 2011 at 12:42 am
  14. Hilarious. He is the ‘new fool in town’ and as head of a movement, we know he’ll be ‘makin’ money, see…’

But will he create new nomenclature? Like ‘looptid?’

adam · March 29th, 2011 at 1:28 am