#Jews

Ah, Sweden. Birthplace of Ikea. Home of Abba. Case-study in government use of social media gone terribly wrong.

Curators of Sweden

It seems that the Swedish Tourism Board thought that turning over the official @Sweden Twitter Account to regular folks from around the country would be a great way to expose the rest of the world to all the country has to offer. I’m not sure how long the Curators of Sweden program has been running, but it got a boost of publicity this morning when the current curator, Sonja Abrahamsson, tweeted the following:

I can’t be the only one reminded of Henry Blodget’s similar question on Business Insider at the end of last month, although there’s clearly a difference between tweets from someone who self-identifies as an under-educated woman from a little isty-bitsy village and the CEO of a respected publication. But I’ve got to wonder myself if there’s something about this moment that’s bringing “the Jewish question” back into public discourse.

10 Responses to “#Jews”

1. it doesn’t seem all that racist, just well-meaning ignorance.

KRG · June 12th, 2012 at 10:23 am
  2. There are stupid people everywhere.

Adam · June 12th, 2012 at 1:27 pm
  3. If you go back a bit, there’s also a few other gems:

“Oh strawberries… dripping with milk an urine. So tasty… “@MalinVK: @sweden mmmm.. Lunch efterrätt! pic.twitter.com/itWWfPcA”” (twitter.com/sweden/status/212486962228101120)

“I found some pics I’ve shopped on da computer. This pic I call “hungry gay with aids”. yfrog.com/ke3mfwej” (twitter.com/sweden/status/212482408942010368)

“Sometimes I just look at my children and think about the time when they had my vagina round their neck.” (twitter.com/sweden/status/212440361199616000)

Charles · June 12th, 2012 at 1:33 pm
  4. Another Gem from Sonja: twitter.com/sweden/status/212482408942010368

Anon · June 12th, 2012 at 2:18 pm
  5. Y’know, if someone dropped their trousers and revealed multiple penises, I imagine I’d be wondering about a few other things before their religion.

Alana · June 12th, 2012 at 4:32 pm
  6. Poor Sonja. I’m fine with the Swedish social media effort though. I like Swedes and Sweden.

Jew Guevara · June 12th, 2012 at 6:30 pm
  7. This cracked me up, but looking at her name again – Abrahamsson – I’m wondering if this is a Borat-ish prank.

em · June 12th, 2012 at 7:16 pm
  8. How… bizarre…

Liam · June 12th, 2012 at 9:32 pm
  9. @em Nah. I’m sure she’s as dumb and ignorant as she claims. I blame the Swedes. Blame the Swedes!
    forward.com/articles/157711/swedens-tweeter-for-week-missteps-on-jews

adam davis · June 13th, 2012 at 10:54 am
  10. Alana-
    Clearly she’s been reading Eli Valley cartoons.

BZ · June 14th, 2012 at 11:53 am