“Davar Acher” is a classic rabbinic phrase used by the ancient rabbis to posit an additional and alternative opinion. It means literally ‘another thing’, ‘another word’ and ‘the word of the other’. As an expression, “Davar Acher“ is emblematic of the multivocality preserved i
- Facilitation Intensive (Applications due October 1, 2013)
- Grounding Your Voice in the Tradition (Applications due December 1, 2013)
- Accessing & Activating Your Voice (Applications due January 13, 2014)
- The Role of Multiple Perspectives in Conflict Transformation (Applications due March 7, 2014)
Click here for a full list of course descriptions, dates and application deadlines.
Encounter is offering a limited number of outstanding applicants the opportunity to participate as paid fellows in the entire Davar Acher: Leadership Program. Successful applicants will receive a stipend of $800 USD for their participation in all four courses, and will be part of an extraordinary cohort of committed leaders. The application deadline for the first course in the series is October 8th, 2013.
Who Should Apply:
Encounter seeks religious, political and ideological diversity in all of our programs. A foundational principle of Encounter’s work is to seed generative discussion in Jewish communal leadership across difference, enabling even those who vociferously disagree with one another, to be in constructive exchange with one another. We welcome and encourage participants of widely varying backgrounds.
1. Those deeply immersed in Jewish life who are currently in or aspiring to positions of leadership within the Jewish community
2. Those who have demonstrated leadership in the Jewish world
3. Those who have demonstrated a commitment to seeding constructive Jewish communal engagement with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.