After consulting with our various judges (including Sarah Lefton, Ben Baruch, Ezra HaLevi, and a handful of others) here are Jewschool’s picks for The Best of 2005.
- Movie: Ushpizin. Runner-up: The Aristocrats.
- TV Show: The Daily Show. Runner-up: Curb Your Enthusiasm.
- Book: Schlepping Through the Alps by Sam Apple. Runner-up: Bar Mitzvah Disco by Roger Bennet, Jules Shell & Nick Kroll.
- Album: Matisyahu Live At Stubbs Not because it’s his best material to date, but because of the impact he’s made in the last year. Runner-up: Lewis Black Luther Burbank Performing Arts Center Blues It ain’t music, but damnit it’s entertaining.
- Magazine: Atlanta Jewish Life Quite possibly the best Jewish magazine in print. Runner-up: Guilt & Pleasure A suprisingly good late entry.
- Website: Nextbook.org Always provoking, always engaging. Runner-up: 50Shekel.com A non-stop treasure trove of hillarity.
- Blog: Jewschool Who’d have guessed?! Runner-up: Jewlicious Our more religious, nerdy, ardently Zionistic younger brother.
- News Story: Surfing Settlers Threaten Suicide by Sea. Runner-up: The AIPAC Spy Scandal.
- Person: Arik Sharon For having the balls to disengage. Runner-up: Bonnie Schwartz A long-time Jewschool reader and the first ever Jewish woman to swim the English Channel, and with a busted rotater cuff at that!
What are your Best of 2005?