More than 150 rabbis from the Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, and Reconstructionist movements and Rep. Donald Payne (D-NJ) will rally at the Dag Hammarskjold Plaza outside the United Nations to demonstrate their commitment to ending the genocide in Darfur, Sudan, nd to urge the United Nations to take stronger action today (March 13) at 10:30 a.m. EST.
Following the rally the rabbis will meet with senior U.S. and U.N. officials.
The rally is scheduled for Monday, March 13, known in the Jewish calendar as the Fast of Esther, the day before Purim, commemorating the genocidal campaign against the Jews in ancient Persia, that was thwarted through the prayers, fasting, and gathering together, of the Jewish people. Given such historical Jewish experience, these Jewish leaders will be coming together precisely on this day in the calendar, in righteous indignation, seeking to put an immediate end to this current genocidal campaign.
Where: Dag Hammarskjold Plaza (East 47th Street between 1st Ave. and 2nd Ave.) If heavy rain occurs: call 202-841-2360 for rain site details.
When: Today (March 13) at 10:30 a.m.
Who: Speakers will include:
- Rabbi Rick Jacobs, for the Central Conference of American Rabbis (Reform)
- Rabbi Robert Levine, President, for the New York Board of Rabbis
- Rabbi Joel Meyers, Executive Vice-President, for the Rabbinic Assembly (Conservative)
- Rabbi Dale Polakoff, President, for the Rabbinical Council of America (Orthodox)
- Rabbi Amy Small, for the Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association
- Rep. Donald Payne (D-NJ)