The New Statesman reports,
American military operations for a major conventional war with Iran could be implemented any day. They extend far beyond targeting suspect WMD facilities and will enable President Bush to destroy Iran’s military, political and economic infrastructure overnight using conventional weapons.[…]
The US army, navy, air force and marines have all prepared battle plans and spent four years building bases and training for “Operation Iranian Freedom”. Admiral Fallon, the new head of US Central Command, has inherited computerised plans under the name TIRANNT (Theatre Iran Near Term).
- Sy Hersh: The Pentagon has drafted an attack plan that could be put into operation within 24 hours of authorization.
- BBC: “US contingency plans for air strikes on Iran extend beyond nuclear sites and include most of the country’s military infrastructure.”
- Haaretz: “Three Arab states in the Persian Gulf would be willing to allow the Israel Air force to enter their airspace in order to reach Iran.”
- Telegraph: “Israel is negotiating with the United States for permission to fly over Iraq as part of a plan to attack Iran’s nuclear facilities.”
- Reuters: Raid on Iran wouldn’t stop nuclear program.
- The Independent: “‘There are four or five generals and admirals we know of who would resign if Bush ordered an attack on Iran,’ a source with close ties to British intelligence said.”