It’s (almost) another year on the Hebrew calendar, and that means it’s time for another cohort of DC Jeremiah Fellows. This fantastic program is run by Jews United For Justice, DC’s local Jewish social justice organization. If you live in DC and are in the right demographic, consider applying this year; otherwise, tell other people who might be interested. Shanah tovah!
- Access a dynamic network of activists, organizers, scholars, and religious leaders.
- Develop new skills in community organizing, advocacy, and leadership.
- Explore DC through the lens of social justice and Jewish texts, traditions, values, and history.
- Build a lasting community of friends, colleagues, and mentors.
Jews United for Justice is thrilled to announce that applications are now online for the 2010-2011 Jeremiah Fellowship! Brought to you by a partnership between JUFJ and California’s Progressive Jewish Alliance, the Jeremiah Fellowship is an innovative program to train a select group of young adults (approximately ages 25-35) to become the next generation of Jewish social justice changemakers.
During the eight-month program, Fellows meet twice monthly on Tuesday nights to learn different techniques of putting values into action, for intimate conversations with leaders in Washington’s Jewish and activist worlds, and for intensive study of Jewish texts and traditions. Two weekend retreats during the year offer in-depth skills training, study of the Jewish justice tradition, and intensive community-building activities. Participants leave the Fellowship with concrete skills in community organizing, activism, grassroots fundraising, leadership, and other key areas, better equipped to pursue their own volunteer work and careers in the social justice field.
We are seeking dynamic and engaged young Jews (approximately ages 25-35) who are:
- Already volunteer leaders or have leadership potential
- Passionate about making our community better by learning about and acting on local issues
- Actively interested in building community
- Committed to using skills gained through the Fellowship
We are committed to the diversity of each cohort of Fellows and believe that a breadth of experience adds to the richness of the program. While most of our last cohort fell into the 25-35 age range, we also had a few dynamite Fellows on either side of that range. We encourage people of all Jewish backgrounds to apply, and no prior knowledge of Hebrew or Jewish texts is necessary. Retreats will feature kosher food and Shabbat-friendly activities.
Applications are due by Sunday, September 26.
For more information, go to http://tinyurl.com/JFinfo
Ready to apply? Go to http://tinyurl.com/JeremiahApp
Questions? Email Rabbi Elizabeth Richman at [email protected]