Here’s a quick summary of this week’s Jewish Resistance to Trump.
[/pullquote]Today the formerly unimaginable is reality — Donald J. Trump will take the oath of office as President of the United States.
This week Jewschool was asked “What is the Jewish resistance” by Haaretz, Israel’s largest progressive daily, who dubbed us “the unofficial organ of the Jewish Resistance” to Trump. We pointed to our reams of coverage of campaigns by Bend the Arc, IfNotNow, and individuals and start-up campaigns around the country.
And there are more than those. Here’s a quick summary of this week’s Jewish Resistance to Trump:
- Rabbis with T’ruah have called a day of Jewish fasting in preparation for four years of moral resistance. If you’re in DC tomorrow, you can join them and Jews United for Justice at Sixth & I Synagogue for an afternoon of learning and rest.
- Today the CEO of American Jewish World Service proudly joins the Women’s March — and he publishes his reasons why here on Jewschool.
- The list of Jewish official co-sponsors of this afternoon’s Women’s March in DC has grown! Jewschool is joined by American Jewish World Service, Jews for Racial and Economic Justice, Bend the Arc, the National Council of Jewish Women, Hazon, the Jewish Women’s Foundation, IKAR, and the Jewish Social Justice Roundtable.
- Today Bend the Arc Jewish Action renewed it’s call for Trump to condemn the violence unleashed following this election, especially the bomb threats on 30 Jewish centers. “Silence as Americans are violently intimidated because of their religious and political beliefs is not an acceptable response from someone who will soon be the leader of our nation.” And you can join their resistance by sending them a video of yourself here.
- This week Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society collected 1,500 rabbis to boldly defend the rights of refugees. “Faced with the largest refugee crisis in all of human history,” the signatories affirm, “the United States must continue to be a safe haven for people fleeing religious persecution, genocide, and terror.”
- Tomorrow at 8 pm in Tel Aviv, anti-occupation groups IfNotNow and AllThatsLeft will jointly stand in solidarity with the Tel Aviv Women’s March before the steps of the US Embassy.
- And the Facebook action group founded to push the Jewish federations to condemn Trump’s hate advises you two simple actions today: (1) Be Nice. (2) Do something.
Are you marching today? Then you’ll need this prayer for protest by our own Gilttery Rebbetzin:
May we find the strength and courage to shout our message loud and clear: hate does not belong here, bigotry will not be a part of Olam Ha Ba…
And where is the Jewish Federations of North American today? Where is the American Jewish Committee? Nowhere. And where is the Simon Weisenthal Center — oh right, its co-founder is up there on the inauguration dias blessing Trump.
Jewschool openly invites guest posts, op-eds, and multimedia submissions from today and the coming days as we celebrate and elevate the Jewish resistance to Trump. Submissions welcomed via our Submit a Post page and at [email protected].