Part-Time Program Officer – Aronson Family Foundation
January 9, 2016 at 2:07 pm #38865
Part-Time Program Officer Role Description
Jeffrey H. and Shari L. Aronson Family Foundation
Based in New York, NY
The Jeffrey H. and Shari L. Aronson Family Foundation is a private, family-led foundation. The Aronson family seeks to make positive changes in the lives of youth through investments in a range of programs that increase opportunities through education, career development, access to critical health services and the strengthening of Jewish life. The Foundation believes in enhancing the capacity of effective approaches, the power of strategic collaboration among organizations that share similar goals and encouraging innovation through the exploration of early stage promising concepts.
The Aronson Family Foundation is in search of a part-time Program Officer to support the Foundation’s mission and implement the Foundation’s grantmaking initiatives. The Program Officer will provide guidance on the strategic direction of the Foundation, manage relationships with grantees across the portfolio and track the performance of investments. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who can work autonomously but is a collaborative team player. He/she should be experienced in philanthropy, policy and/or nonprofit management with an interest in the focus areas described above.
Responsibilities may include:
Strategy, Grantmaking & Portfolio Management
• Provide ongoing consultation and guidance to the Aronson family on the strategic direction of the Foundation, including the engagement of content experts in order to refine the Foundation’s strategy and approach.
• Conduct field research on policies and best practices that may influence the Foundation’s investments.
• Manage the Foundation’s pipeline and grant commitments.
• Perform due diligence on potential grantee candidates.
• Manage grant application and reporting process, including related materials.
• Provide guidance and support in collaborating with grantees to identify grant priorities.
• Generate grantee contracts outlining specific goals to be achieved over the term of the grant and timing of payments.
• Draft proposal and progress report summaries for grantmaking meetings.
• Conduct periodic site visits to check grantee progress and identify areas for follow-up.
• Establish methods for evaluating the progress and impact of grantee organizations.
• Represent the Foundation at community and partner meetings.
• Participate in informational meetings with organizations, individuals and other foundations.
• Manage events and special projects as needed.
• Develop a network of peer organizations for learning and collaboration.
• Oversight of budget and administration of Foundation’s operations.
Skills and Experience
• Minimum B.A. required.
• At least 5 years of prior work experience in a related field.
• Familiarity with foundation and nonprofit operations.
• Broad knowledge of social problems, programs and policies.
• Strong critical thinking, research and analytical skills.
• Strong communicator with excellent writing and presentation skills.
• Comfortable with Excel, PowerPoint and experience working with databases.
• Ability to multitask and work well under pressure with tight deadlines.
• Commitment to the Foundation’s mission.
• Adaptable and flexible team player with strong interpersonal skills.
• Organized and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with sense of urgency and high standards.
• Ability to exercise diplomacy and solid judgment while working with Aronson family, colleagues, external partners and grantees.
• Self-starter able to work independently and proactively but open to feedback and guidance.
• Strategic but detail-oriented and thorough.
• Approaches grantmaking role with humility and collaborative mindset.
• Relationship-builder, continuous learner and problem-solver.
Time Commitment and Compensation
This position is part-time, 2-3 days per week, and based in New York City with the potential for occasional travel. The target start date is winter of 2016. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Aronson Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We will contact only those candidates whose professional experience meets our requirements. No phone calls please. If interested, please forward a resume with brief cover note to [email protected].
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.